- Get Informed
- Get Involved
- Your Voices
- Donate Now
Network of European LGBT Family Associations
Marriage Equality is delighted to announce that we are now full members of NELFA - the Network of European LGBT Family Associations!
NELFA was created on 1 May 2009 to bring together the associations of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender parents and their children from European nations under one European organization to represent LGBT / Rainbow Families.
In many European countries, Rainbow Families (that is, families where parents are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender) are faced with unsuitable domestic laws, if not a total legal void.
This lack of proper recognition of Rainbow Families exposes them and especially their children to all sorts of legal risks. These families live with the thought that if a tragedy touches their life, for instance, the death or accident of the legal parent, the bond of the social parent to the child may not be recognised by the Law, and their family life can be severely disrupted. (for an Irish example of this, watch our short film, Rory's Story)
It goes without saying that this precarious situation may of course produce negative effects on the family and its members: a feeling of insecurity and uncertainty, social invisibility and psychological stress to name a few.
NELFA works toward the following aims and objectives:
- Ensuring that the children of LGBT families in Europe enjoy the same rights as those of children in families currently recognized by the law;
- Encouraging European countries to adopt equal opportunity policies in relation to LGBT families with regard to legal, financial, educational, social and other relevant rights.
- Ensuring that LGBT families can enjoy fully the European Union's right to freedom of movement between Member States.
- Raising awareness about the situation of LGBT families amongst the public at large.
- Encouraging and promoting initiatives and projects aimed at supporting LGBT families.
- Working with EU institutions, Member States and other relevant governmental and civil society partners to achieve the aims stated above.
For more information about NELFA, please visit www.nelfa.org